Gallery Of Recent Projects - click thumbnail images to view the full size image gallery
Richards - Hawthorne House
Lawrence House One
Design Brief for Lawrence House One:
- To create a clever design solution to partly renovating two large bathrooms without having to remove all the expensive tiling and waterproofing to do it, and yet introduce new materials with the older materials that are no longer available.
- To attractively dress the rooms for open homes and marketing by real estate agents.
Lawrence House Two
Design Brief for Lawrence House Two:
- To design a new kitchen to fit the existing space.
- To design a new bathroom while at the same time working with the existing plumbing which was literally set in concrete.
- To design new window treatments for privacy and light as well as warmth.
- To create a new furniture layout and select new furniture to suit paintings and rugs already owned by the client.
- To select new carpet for the bedrooms and a neutral colourscheme throughout.
- To request quotes from the various trades involved, and to co-ordinate their work and timing.
Design Brief for the Ngatai project.
The proposed project was to be an extensive renovation plus addition to an existing home.
The building plans were part-way through the final stages, and about to be presented to council for permit when I was introduced to the project.
Gale and Mike asked me to create a family home suitable for many roles. They are a couple who love to entertain, who live with two beloved cats, and many frequently visiting grandchildren.
The home faces a wonderful, north-facing view of the harbour, and yet many of the spaces are completely lacking in natural light.
The design therefore had to make the most of the site, and yet offer practical living that allowed for frequent entertaining.
I was asked to do the following:
- To design a kitchen that allowed for several people to work in at one time as well as provide a central hub for parties and entertaining.
- To design bathrooms that provided a particular range of relaxation activities from relaxing in the bubble bath to a shower designed for elderly parents with limited mobility.
- To design furniture that accommodated the needs of both small and large groups in comfort. This included the couches, the dining table, the buffet cabinet and the coffee tables - all were custom designed to meet these various needs.
- To design the window treatments for the light and privacy needs of each room.
- To design a large walk-in wardrobe for everyday practical use.
- To design a lighting plan that offered a practical range of lighting options from ambient mood lighting to task lighting, and every other combination in between.
- To select and place all the accessories in the home - from the beautiful Italian mirror to the dinnerware - even the flowers in the vases.
- To design an outdoor BBQ area, in collaboration with the landscape designer, complete with furniture.
- To design a tropical-themed ultra-modern interior that will eventually be surrounded by a tropical garden on the ground floor, and overlook the surrounding garden to the view beyond from the upper level, and yet distract the eye from the less appealing homes in the immediate surroundings.
- With this in mind, keeping the focus on the indoor outdoor connection from all rooms.
To create a sense of light, spaciousness and space while using black and red in much of the design.
- To work closely with the architect who had created a very successful house plan for this small, difficult site.
- To create a dramatic first impression from the front door on.
To keep the staircase as weightless-looking as possible, leading the eye up towards a continuation of the first impression upon entering the front door.
- To keep the home bold, uncluttered and simple and yet comfortable to live in.
- To design a lighting and electrical plan that offers ease of use, and plenty of practical options - from automatic blinds that disappear into the ceiling to mood lighting and beyond.
- To design a fireplace/TV/display shelving wall that conceals the complex cables required for TV, high-quality sound and the ducting required for a shared-heat system from the fire to the rest of the home.
- To design modern bathrooms with open showers, bold uncluttered lines and custom made space-saving in-wall cabinets for personal items to be stored out of sight.
- To display a collection of treasured personal possessions, from paintings to glass objects d'art in an attractive way.
- To work with the builders, cabinet makers and various trades to ensure the end results were exactly right.